Jan 5, 2011

Contented Failure

.
Some would say I failed.
I think not.
My goal had been 25 books in 128 days. Why? Because those seemed like good numbers. The end result? 18 books in 128 days. I would love to say that I met my goal. But goals aren't always made to be met. They are made to induce perseverance, diligence, and motivation. I persevered, I was diligent (most of the time), and I definitely felt motivated.
I am content.
I'm going to take a break from any goals and just read when I have the time. Amidst graduate school, a job, writing my own novel(s), being sick, and fighting insanity (I'll never win), I think a book-breather is necessary.

Thank you for bearing with me through the 25/128 challenge. It's been refreshing reading so often. It reminds me of younger days (as if I'm old) when I could stack a pile of books by the couch and read without getting tired, getting distracted, or feeling guilty.

During my busiest time of this past holiday season, I wrote a post called The Big-Toe of Busyness on my writer's blog. I've found it describes, quite well, one of the reasons I stopped at 18 books instead of 25.

I hope that, with the New Year's resolutions, heightened book reading finds its way to your list. It's worth it.




Nadine Brandes is an adventurer, fusing authentic faith with bold imagination. She writes stories about brave living, finding purpose, and other worlds soaked in imagination. Her debut dystopian novel, A Time to Die, releases 2014 from Marcher Lord Press. When Nadine's not taste-testing a new chai or editing fantasy novels, she is out pursuing adventures. She currently lives in Idaho with her husband. You can find out more about Nadine and her books at http://nadinebrandes.com.

1 comment:

  1. Good work on reading so many books in so little time! I agree--reading more is a great resolution!

    ReplyDelete